Friday, October 5, 2018

Welcome to ChappellGenes

Up until I took a DNA test, I thought I knew a decent amount about my ancestry. I knew I had some bits of German, French, Swedish, and miscellaneous others, and I knew of a few great aunts and uncles and some second cousins, and I had a story or two of older ancestors. Then I took a DNA test. I found a second cousin I didn't know and a huge amount of ancestors I had no idea about: from Civil War soldiers to scribes, train engineers to broom makers. Founders of counties, owners of important real estate, Huguenots, shop keepers, jewelers, and bartenders. The more ancestors I find, the more there is to find.

The more I dig into my ancestry, the bigger my family tree gets, the more I realize I don't want it to just sit around collecting digital dust in a tree somewhere. There are stories to be told, and I want to try to tell them. Out here, in my own little corner of the interwebs. I hope to post about some of the more interesting people, and about some of the things I've learned about along the way. I hope you enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Marquis de la Chappelle: International Man of Mystery

When I was a child, I remember that I had to do a report on an ancestor. I called an aunt of my father's, who told me about the Count du...